Propel Frustrates me to no end

After reading several posts on sitepoint about how great propel is and how I should really give it a try I decided to give er a go. Results of the attempted install below.
Well, when going to their download I saw that they had pear installables for propel, creole, and phing so I thought, "GREAT! Now I don’t have to worry about moving files all around." The install went off without a hitch and I proceeded to try and build the test project. No luck. Absolutely none. It took me a while to figure out what I was really supposed to do as they offer no valid documentation for using a pear install that I can see and it became increasingly apparent that the building process is different. So I spent a day and a half fiddling with it only to find out that everything I tried continually failed with the same error: ‘Can’t find build.xml’

After some research it looks like the pear installation actually tosses the build.xml file for a pear-build.xml file. This file I guess is used to resolve path differences between the pear installed version and the manual installed version. This file is loaded using a propel-gen.bat file. The crazy thing is that even though it’s "supposed" to use pear-build.xml it’s still looking for build.xml. This is incredibly frustrating. I don’t have the time nor desire to run through and debug the programs. I’m not really as angry as I sound either. I somewhat expect this from open-source programs. I’ve been heavily involved in a few open-source projects and it is hard to get the manpower to keep up with all of the documentation and what not.

Anyhow, I’ll let you know how the manual install goes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *